Hatikvah - A Blog About Life in Rabbinical School

Matt and Jen's blog about their adventures while Matt is in rabbinical school. Hatikvah, the name of the Israeli national anthem, means "the hope." This blog reflects their many hopes and adventures about their experiences during this process.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

The Cats

You have to understand, I absolutely love cats. I wouldn't necessarily say I was a "cat person" because I love cats and dogs both equally. I'd say I like them to an extreme, but then you'd probably think I'm crazy.

Anyway, I currently have two cats of my own that my parents are so wonderfully taking care of for me while Matt and I are in Israel. One of my cats is white, fluffy, and very lazy. The other is gray, tailless, and likes to stick her legs up into the air at strange angles while she cleans herself. Both are very sweet and both have a lot of personality.

I had been warned about the cats here in Israel, but I had no idea. They are everywhere. I have actually never seen so many cats in my entire life. They come in all shapes and sizes, plus I've seen quite a few kittens. Apparently, they are an infestation here in Jerusalem, one that the city's citizens would like to eliminate.

The cats are the rats of the city. They scrounge in dumpsters and howl at night. Last night was particularly loud, the cats must have had a lengthy territorial war for the howling and screeching went on for hours.

I've heard that some people try to poison the cats to get rid of them. That just seems terrible. I think that someone should create an organization like the SPCA here in Jerusalem and capture the cats and spay them. If this was done, the cat population would significantly decrease in about a decade.

My mom warns me not to get involved. That I can't save them all. I'm listening. I understand. Yet, someone needs to help these poor, hungry cats.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It's just an awful situation. Here's an organization that helps:

http://www.cats.org.il/eng/index.html

and here's a blog about israeli cats:

http://elmsintheyard.blogspot.com/

2:40 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home