Hatikvah - A Blog About Life in Rabbinical School

Matt and Jen's blog about their adventures while Matt is in rabbinical school. Hatikvah, the name of the Israeli national anthem, means "the hope." This blog reflects their many hopes and adventures about their experiences during this process.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Back to School

On Tuesday, we had a welcoming BBQ and all day Wednesday and Thursday was orientation. Since we'd been here during the summer, there wasn't a lot we didn't know so the orientation wasn't overly helpful but it was informative.

I really wish the yeshiva would've held a short orientation for those of us staying all year at the beginning of the summer but the seem to treat the summer and the year-long programs totally separate, even though there are students who attend both (albeit not a lot of students - there were a total of seven of us continuing in some form or fashion, either part-time or full-time).

Much of the time of the orientation was spent with various faculty members giving summaries of their classes or just giving mini-lectures to show what their teaching style is. That was helpful because there were a few faculty who weren't here during the summer so we didn't really have much exposure to them.

I'm somewhat in a state of flux in regards to my afternoon classes because I might have to leave the yeshiva to take a Hebrew class elsewhere because they don't offer enough Hebrew on campus. That would be a shame because I really want to fit everything in and will really regret having to miss a few afternoons each week to go elsewhere. However, the director says he might offer a Hebrew class four days a week that would meet our needs.

At the end of the day yesterday, each of the incoming students took a Hebrew placement exam. It's the same exam they mailed us prior to the summer session and thus the same exam that I had to email about and say, "I don't even understand how to take this test." That, of course, resulted in me being placed in lowest level Hebrew. But, yesterday, I was able to confidently complete about a third of the test, which made me very excited to see how far my language acquisition had come since late June.

The end of the day today was spent selecting courses with a faculty advisor. I'll tell about my classes once I'm settled and can see what's going on with my afternoons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home