Hatikvah - A Blog About Life in Rabbinical School

Matt and Jen's blog about their adventures while Matt is in rabbinical school. Hatikvah, the name of the Israeli national anthem, means "the hope." This blog reflects their many hopes and adventures about their experiences during this process.

Friday, March 23, 2007

Spring Break, Whew! But, I'm Sick

Yesterday (Thursday) was my last day of Hebrew class until mid-April, which means it's Spring Break (or in this case, Passover Break). We have the week before Passover off, the week of Passover off, and then the Post-Passover recovery day off and then we return to class.

Unfortunately, I have had a bad cough since Monday and so missed three days of class this week. I did attend class yesterday because we had our "final" exam and I know that I did not do very well because, as I think I've mentioned before, the other students are far more knowledgeable than I and so the class moves along at a brisk pace. Nonetheless, the class isn't graded and it's just for my preparation before I start at AJU in the fall.

I did see a doctor this morning who gave me antibiotics and a Robitussin-type syrup. There was no fee for the visit and no fee for the medications; it's all covered. The medical system here is amazing - every citizen is required to be part of one of four health plans offered by insurers and no one is excluded through inability to pay. Jen and I paid $365 (or $1/day) each for a year's worth of top-notch coverage here, the county with the highest ratio of physicians to population.

My doctor this morning did not speak much English but I was able to communicate most of my symptoms to her in Hebrew. I did have to have her repeat questions for me slowly but that worked. The doctor asked me if I had a fever but I told her I had no idea because I don't have a thermometer. Nonetheless, she didn't take my temperature. She said I'd be better in a few days and sent me off.

Jen and I hope to spend next week (our totally free week) touring around the country, visiting so many places that we've never seen. I just hope I'm better by the end of Shabbat! Then, of course, a week from Sunday is my trip to Ukraine.

Shabbat Shalom!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home