Hatikvah - A Blog About Life in Rabbinical School

Matt and Jen's blog about their adventures while Matt is in rabbinical school. Hatikvah, the name of the Israeli national anthem, means "the hope." This blog reflects their many hopes and adventures about their experiences during this process.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

The Wall

Today, we went to the Western Wall, known as the Kotel here and in Hebrew (we also went to the Old City because the Wall is within that area but I'll talk about the Old City some other time). It was an amazing experience to be there and we spent about a half hour there, amazed at being in Jerusalem and being at the Western Wall of the ancient Temple. Words cannot express my feelings from my experience today but I'll try anyway. :)

There are separate men and women sections at the Wall, with the men's section being somewhat larger than the women's section. In addition, in the men's section there's a whole labyrinth of rooms where various groups of people are engaged in daily prayers. I was surprised to see this area because when I think of the Wall and have seen photos, I've only seen the outside portion thereof.

Jen and Jean went to the women's section and another friend and I went to the men's side. We both davened the afternoon service right up next to the Wall. Did I mention it was incredible, awesome, and amazing? Well, it was.

Below are photos of the Wall and as a special treat (and something you rarely see) what it looks like when you're not facing the Wall. (Although it is traditional to not turn your back to the Wall so you walk backwards away from it for a specified distance and then you can turn around.)

The Old City, The Opposite of the Wall, and Me at the Wall



2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Did people come hit you up for money while you were standing there?

When I was last at the wall (in 1993), I was trying to have a "moment" and a bunch of religious guys kept coming by and trying to get me to give them money.

9:25 AM PDT  
Blogger Matt said...

Thanks for the comment Avram! I was beggar-free while at the Wall but Jen wasn't so lucky! I did, however, have the cleaning guy keep hitting my feet with his broom. So rude!

9:49 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home