Hatikvah - A Blog About Life in Rabbinical School

Matt and Jen's blog about their adventures while Matt is in rabbinical school. Hatikvah, the name of the Israeli national anthem, means "the hope." This blog reflects their many hopes and adventures about their experiences during this process.

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Out of Town for the Shabbaton






The yeshiva took us away for the weekend. We climbed aboard the bus on early Friday to head east to the Dead Sea. Our first stop on Friday was the Ein Gedi National Park. It's an oasis in the desert near the Dead Sea that is fed by springs and streams. The area is gorgeous and we had a nice hike there up to some springs and waterfalls.

With my background, I was chosen to carry the first aid kit. Fortunately, I only needed to use the first aid kit on myself. Unfortunately, in an area of steep steps that were soaked with mud and water seeping from springs, I slipped and my legs flew out in front of me and I bounced on my butt down several of the rock steps. I've been in pain ever since and my left arm is full of scrapes but I'm feeling better every day since. Fortunately, the first aid kit contained ibuprofin, which I took advantage of regularly throughout the weekend.

Needless to say, it was pretty hot near the Dead Sea and hiking didn't help one bit. Jen and I were sweating profusely and eventually, it was lunch time in some great shade. After lunch we visited an ancient synagogue near Ein Gedi and davened mincha there. A while later, we ended up at our accomodations for Friday night - a hostel at Masada.

While we didn't actually climb Masada nor did we physically go to the Dead Sea, we were near both. The hostel was at the foot of Masada.

I was really looking forward to the weekend because the hostel has a nice pool. Unfortunately, I never had a chance to use it because as soon as we arrived on Friday after the hike, Jen and I fell fast asleep in our room. I also fell asleep right after lunch on Saturday and missed relaxation time them. I decided to skip a lecture on Saturday afternoon but when I arrived at the pool in my bathing suit and with my towel and book - the pool was closed for the day. I was very sad.

Those who were unlucky enough to be unmarried had to share rooms with four to a room - Jen and I were lucky and didn't have to share (except with each other). There were a few upset engaged couples on the trip. All the rooms had their own bathrooms, which was nice.

After the scheduled pool time on Friday (when we were asleep), it was time for Friday evening Shabbat services. The hostel had a synagogue of its own, which was incredibly convenient. I really enjoyed living a feed doors down from a synagogue. Currently, I have to walk more than five minutes to my nearest synagogue but it's Orthodox and I don't usually go there but we turned the hostel synagogue into our own yeshiva synagogue.

For the Shabbaton weekend, I was given the responsibility of not only the first aid kit but also to pack up and transport all the ritual objects we'd need for services. Thus, I had to scavenger hunt around the yeshiva for various items - prayerbooks, chumashim (books of the weekly Torah readings), candlesticks and matches for Friday night, a Havdalah candle for the end of Shabbat on Saturday night, a yad (the pointing device used for Torah reading), and a bunch of other miscellaneous objects. It was fun to have this responsibility and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

We woke up early on Saturday for services and then had a nice lunch but as mentioned above, we fell fast asleep. I missed some afternoon activities in order to try to swim but instead ended up reading in the room.

We packed up right after Shabbat was over and boarded the bus back to Jerusalem. The bus was late and we were a bit late for our arrival because we arrived just a tad late for the 10 p.m. Slichot services at the synagogue next to the yeshiva. Those were over at about 11 p.m. and so I finally headed home and got ready for Sunday classes (which nicely started at 8:30 a.m.).

Nonetheless, since then, classes start at 7 a.m. each morning and I'm there until 6:15 p.m. Many lunchtimes are filled with lectures and guest speakers so it makes for a very, very long day.

OK, I've gotta go prepare for Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur. Toodles!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home