Hatikvah - A Blog About Life in Rabbinical School

Matt and Jen's blog about their adventures while Matt is in rabbinical school. Hatikvah, the name of the Israeli national anthem, means "the hope." This blog reflects their many hopes and adventures about their experiences during this process.

Friday, October 13, 2006

Eeeek! I Need Paraphernalia!

I was unprepared for this weekend's plethora of holidays, all rolled into one day! It was just after 3 p.m. and the beginning of Shabbat, Simchat Torah, and Shemini Atzeret is at 4:34 p.m. It was at that point that I realized that there is the Yizkor service tomorrow and thus, I needed to light a yahrzeit candle tonight but I had no candle!

The beginning of the holiday was just over an hour away and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to find a candle on such short notice. Most stores close on Friday a few hours before Shabbat begins so I expected they'd all be closed.

Nonetheless, I rushed out of the house and checked the first local store - closed; I briskly walked up the street to the second local store - closed! I kept walking to the major intersection and to the "24 hour" mini-market. Open! Thankfully, they almost are open 24 hours a day. Their name is misleading because they are closed on Shabbat but it turns out, thankfully, that they close right before Shabbat. So, they're a 24/6 sort of place.

They did have a candle for me and I waited in line, something I'd never had to do there before. In front of me were four Orthodox women, apparently buying last minute recipe items. After I paid, I grabbed my candle and rushed home to write this note.

Now, it's time for last minute cleaning, straightening, and showering in anticipation of a very early start to the holiday. (Although December will be the worst - for four weeks candle lighting time is at 4:00 or 4:01! Wow! The bright side to that is that Shabbat is over on Saturday night around 5:15 p.m. so Saturday night fun can be a lot longer and a lot more fun!

Tomorrow night marks the end of a huge number of Jewish holidays over the past few weeks. I'm really looking forward to 5:45 p.m. tomorrow. We go back to school on Monday, however.

Shabbat Shalom and Hag Sameach!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home