Hatikvah - A Blog About Life in Rabbinical School

Matt and Jen's blog about their adventures while Matt is in rabbinical school. Hatikvah, the name of the Israeli national anthem, means "the hope." This blog reflects their many hopes and adventures about their experiences during this process.

Thursday, December 14, 2006

But I'm Not 40 Yet

I was thinking about Rabbi Akiva, one of the greatest sages of Jewish history, because he started his Judaic learning late in life, at the age of 40. I found this great quote about Rabbi Akiva on Wikipedia... "He was an am ha'aretz (ignoramus) during his first forty years. During that period he used to say: 'O that I would find a Talmid Chacham (a scholar) and bite him like a donkey." Ouch!

At least one thing I've learned in the last six months has been to not bite my teachers. Good advice!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home