Hatikvah - A Blog About Life in Rabbinical School

Matt and Jen's blog about their adventures while Matt is in rabbinical school. Hatikvah, the name of the Israeli national anthem, means "the hope." This blog reflects their many hopes and adventures about their experiences during this process.

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Packed and Ready

We took our seven boxes filled with books and household items to Steve's apartment last Thursday. It took four trips.

Our luggage is all pre-packed. We need only to stuff in a few last minute pieces of clothes and things and double-check the weight of all four bags.

We are pretty much packed to go to the airport early Tuesday morning, just under 48 hours from now.

The vast majority of our possessions are traveling via boat. A fellow student arranged for a cargo company to ship boxes of students' possessions to Los Angeles. The price was very good and we pay per box so the boxes can be loaded with as much weight as one wants to carry. The boxes should arrive at the university in mid-August to September.

I went book shopping to buy my books for rabbinical school, using a book list suggested by the assistant dean. On my first trip to the bookstore with my list, I went with Eve and Aviva, who helped me figure out what the books on the list were. It was really overwhelming and I felt like Harry Potter on his first shopping excursion for Hogwarts on Diagon Alley. I made an appointment to sit down with a bookseller to obtain everything I needed.

The appointment was last Thursday and Steve graciously agreed to go along with me for moral and technical support. After an hour of difficult decisions on which version of which book to buy entirely in Hebrew, I paid and arranged for shipping of the books to Los Angeles, to meet me after I arrive. Rabbinical school is going to be very interesting. My friends promise that I will, at some point, know how to use and perhaps even read the books I bought. I sure hope so!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home