Hatikvah - A Blog About Life in Rabbinical School

Matt and Jen's blog about their adventures while Matt is in rabbinical school. Hatikvah, the name of the Israeli national anthem, means "the hope." This blog reflects their many hopes and adventures about their experiences during this process.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The Israeli "Look"

After 2,000 years in the Diaspora, it seems strange that Israelis can have a special "look" after only 58 years as a state. For instance, the Israeli couple at the consulate "looked" Israeli. I asked Matt what it was that made them look distinctive. Was it their clothes, hairstyle, mannerisms, something else? Matt said it was the sunglass that they wear on top of their kippah (yarmulka). I'm sure my friend David would say that Israeli's seem to constantly smoke and use their cell phones.

But, really, it's something else. It's almost like skin tone, hair style, clothing, demeanor, hand movements, and more. I just can't describe it exactly. Of course, I'm only describing Israeli's I've met in the U.S. Will Israelis in Israel all have this same "look"?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home