Hatikvah - A Blog About Life in Rabbinical School

Matt and Jen's blog about their adventures while Matt is in rabbinical school. Hatikvah, the name of the Israeli national anthem, means "the hope." This blog reflects their many hopes and adventures about their experiences during this process.

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Baruch Dayan HaEmet

"Baruch Dayan HaEmet" ("Blessed is the True Judge") is the phrase recited when one hears of a death and I unfortunately had to say it twice in the past week. While we were in New Jersey, I was informed by phone my good friend and Red Cross colleague Mike Goth was killed in a car accident in California's Central Valley. I went to the funeral yesterday in Ventura.

I was already exhausted from my travels to New Jersey and San Francisco during the week but absolutely had to go to honor the memory of such an amazing and wonderful man. It was a true sign of Mike's influence and goodness to see so many Red Crossers there from not just around the state, but from around the country.

During the services at the funeral home, a good friend and former key volunteer from my time at Ventura told me that her husband had passed away on Thursday night. Despite her tragedy, she still came to Mike's funeral. She asked me to think of her next Friday, the date of her husband's funeral, and I told her that I would and I would even be in synagogue that day for the first day of Shavuot.

While it was a sad event, it was nice to see many of my long-time friends and colleagues before I leave the country.

Today Jen and I stood for the Mourner's Kaddish at Shabbat services for Mike and John as it was my fist minyan since hearing about either of the deaths, both of which impacted me greatly. After services, I slept the remainder of the afternoon away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home