Hatikvah - A Blog About Life in Rabbinical School

Matt and Jen's blog about their adventures while Matt is in rabbinical school. Hatikvah, the name of the Israeli national anthem, means "the hope." This blog reflects their many hopes and adventures about their experiences during this process.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The Locomotive Washing Machine

Our washing machine likes to go for strolls. During the spin cycle it begins to walk away from the wall, bump into the gas connection for the radiator, and sometimes walk to the center of the bathroom where it removes its drainage tube from the wall, thus pouring water across the floor.

I temporarily solved this problem by placing two buckets full of water in front of the washing machine to block its propulsion. This is quite effective but not an acceptable aesthetic solution (according to Jen).

We emailed our landlord to let her know of the problem. She informed us of a device that would stop the strolls. She didn't know what it was called or where to obtain it but she said it existed. Oh, thanks!

A few days later, she wrote to say that she'd ordered the part (a washing machine "brake") for us and it would arrive at the appliance store the next day. The appliance store is a 40-minute walk but our landlord said we should take a taxi and she'd reimburse us. So, after Hebrew tutoring, a few days after the order should have arrived, we took a taxi to the appliance store.

We had an awful time attempting to communicate with the owner - his English was bad but it was a heck of a lot better than our Hebrew so it took us a few minutes for us to understand each other - he interpreted our use of the phrase "washing machine break" to mean that we wanted him to come repair our washing machine. Oh, the silly differences between nouns and past-tense verbs!

Anyway, we eventually determined that said brake had not yet arrived but should arrive "maCHar" (i.e. "tomorrow," in Hebrew). He wrote down my cell phone number.

Less than two hours after we arrived home, he called to say the part had arrived "hiyom" (i.e. "today," in Hebrew). Shucks!

That took place last Thursday. So, yesterday I decided to go pick up the part and I decided to walk. I put on my tennis shoes (any walk over 20 minutes requires me to relinquish Birkenstocks) and grabbed my iPod and walked the 40 minutes to the appliance store, arriving just after 4 p.m. to find it, of course, closed. There's no sign on the door indicating open hours so I presume they closed at 4 because that'd be just my luck.

So, I walked home, brake-less. I'll try again sometime soon but I'm kinda' tired of short jarring taxi rides where we're stuck in traffic or at red lights most of the time. Maybe I'll try another walk; it certainly improves my tan!

However, I would happily trade our washing machine for a in-sink garbage disposal. But that's another story...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

With all of this walking you do - I think I'm going to have to break out into song .."Please Mr. Skinny - tell me how you do it - tell me how you get so thin..." Must make you kind of miss the Davis bicycle days...

11:12 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home