Hatikvah - A Blog About Life in Rabbinical School

Matt and Jen's blog about their adventures while Matt is in rabbinical school. Hatikvah, the name of the Israeli national anthem, means "the hope." This blog reflects their many hopes and adventures about their experiences during this process.

Monday, October 16, 2006

Entertainment and Rabbi Shmuley

I was thinking of subscribing to Netflix but I didn't think it would be a good value if I received one movie every other month due to mailing times. So instead we go to the nearby Blockbuster for our DVDs. The last two nights Jen and I rented DVDs and enjoyed them here in the apartment. It's a comforting feeling to watch American (or in the case of the fantastic film from last night, The World's Fastest Indian, New Zealand) movies.

Israeli cable and international cable channels so a wide variety of American television shows but many are shows that weren't too successful in the states so their rights are bought by the cable channels and shown around the world. There is a complete listing of upcoming television opportunities but with my schedule and without a Tivo, it's hard to catch something I want to watch.

Thus, I have started downloading television shows from iTunes to watch on the computer. First it was an episode of South Park and now, I'm downloading an episode of Shalom in the Home. Shalom in the Home appears on TLC in the States and is a reality show hosted by Rabbi Shmuley Boteach. It's a great show and I've been downloading one episode overnight and iTunes tells me that I only have four hours left to go!

Rabbi Shmuley is a great guy and his show is very entertaining. I discovered that he was in Jerusalem for the holidays when some fellow yeshiva students who went to the Western Wall on Yom Kippur discovered that Rabbi Shmuley was leading their service at the Wall! It was an exciting time for everyone.

In the course of writing this entry, I visited the good Rabbi's website and found an interesting article that he writes about the young misbehaving American Orthodox students who come to Israel to study for a year after high school. I posted previously about how these kids could be pretty loud when they lived across the street from our summertime apartment. Anyway, Rabbi Shmuley shares his thoughts on the obnoxious behavior of this group. Way to go Shmuley!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home