Hatikvah - A Blog About Life in Rabbinical School

Matt and Jen's blog about their adventures while Matt is in rabbinical school. Hatikvah, the name of the Israeli national anthem, means "the hope." This blog reflects their many hopes and adventures about their experiences during this process.

Friday, October 27, 2006

No Hair Left

I had a haircut at the end of June, before we left the States and I have had a total of three haircuts here in Jerusalem. I usually have a haircut every four weeks so I am behind at least one haircut but maybe it's because my hair keeps getting cut too short.

My first haircut was with a barber near the Yeshiva who paid my instructions no heed and cut my hair too short. I don't think he liked me because I arrived at his shop while he was eating lunch. It wasn't as though he had to put his lunch aside - he had me wait for fifteen minutes while he finished his lunch and his cigarette.

My second haircut, closer to our house, was a Russian immigrant barber who only spoke Russian and Hebrew. He understood my Hebrew instructions and I had a great haircut.

Last Wednesday, I went to the same place I went to the second time but I allowed my friend Mo to have his hair cut by the nice Russian barber. Mo's hair turned out great. I had my haircut by the owner, a much older barber. He spoke some English but didn't listen to my instructions at all and basically shaved my head and beard and so I hardly have any hair left at all. I'm nearly bald and my whole head is cold.

Thus, that evening, Jen and I went to the mall to buy her some winter clothing because it's getting downright cool here and while we were at the mall, I bought myself two very large kippot that cover most of my head. People who saw me yesterday at the Yeshiva said good things about my beard but I think they were just being nice. I think I scare small children and furry animals now. Well, in a few weeks it won't be so bad and I can probably wait two or three months before my next haircut.

I'm going back to the Russian barber - he understands my Hebrew and does a great job!

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

Good idea but my sister doesn't want to see me like this!

12:01 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home