Hatikvah - A Blog About Life in Rabbinical School

Matt and Jen's blog about their adventures while Matt is in rabbinical school. Hatikvah, the name of the Israeli national anthem, means "the hope." This blog reflects their many hopes and adventures about their experiences during this process.

Monday, December 25, 2006

What's That on Your Head?

I have been wearing my kippah when we've been out and about and that has been an interesting experience.

For instance, we went to a garden store and the clerk there asked if the gift we were buying was a Hanukkah present and then proceeded to tell me about his lady friend who is Jewish and this is their first holiday season together and she is buying a Christmas gift for his grandchild but she doesn’t want any gifts from him.

Then at the vet, the vet wished us happy holidays and took our cat in the back for a shot. When she came back up front, she asked, "I haven’t had much sleep – I didn’t wish you a Merry Christmas, did I?" I replied that she had not because I really would’ve remembered that. Then, she proceeded to tell me about her four year old son who has a friend who is Jewish and last year, they went and celebrated Hanukkah at the friend’s house and her son was so cute and yada yada yada.

I'm getting lots of stares with my kippah on and lots of people are taking a double-take in looking at me. I'm really standing out and it's a very strange experience. But, everyone who talks to me wants to connect to me in some way - through knowing someone Jewish or sharing some knowledge of Hanukkah or Judaism. But, the best thing about wearing a kippah out and about is that no one wishes me a Merry Christmas!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home