Hatikvah - A Blog About Life in Rabbinical School

Matt and Jen's blog about their adventures while Matt is in rabbinical school. Hatikvah, the name of the Israeli national anthem, means "the hope." This blog reflects their many hopes and adventures about their experiences during this process.

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Driving

I struggle with driving on Shabbat. In traditional circles, driving is not permitted on Shabbat because of the Shabbat prohibition against lighting fire (which a combustion engine most certainly does), the prohibition against carrying, the fear of what would happen if one were to break down (and possibly repair something, also a prohibition), and the limit on travel distances (one may not travel about more than 2000 cubits beyond the edge of the city).

Nearly all my fellow first-year students do not drive on Shabbat. However, all three of the oldest students in my class (myself included) do drive. Many of the graduating "seniors" who have families and children and, along with the three of us elders of the freshman class, don't live in the Jewish neighborhood known as Pico-Robertson, also drive. All last year I was in Jerusalem and walked. Walking on Shabbat is a fantastic experience and is an essential part of a complete Shabbat. Moving to Southern California has resulted in a change to driving on Shabbat. I don't like to drive because I agree with the prohibitions and feel it disrupts the sanctity of Shabbat, especially in L.A. traffic. Nonetheless, a few decades ago the Conservative Movement of Judaism permitted driving to synagogue when necessary.

When I drive I often drive into Pico-Roberston to go to Shabbat services at places frequented by my classmates, like the Library Minyan, PicoEgal, or IKAR. I also drive to other synagogues to see varieties in Shabbat services. The past two Shabbats I drove to synagogues to hear fantastic scholar-in-residences - incredible speakers who gave amazing lectures that I'm so glad I did not miss.

I've spoken with quite a few rabbis about my driving and for now, they say it is important for me as a rabbi-to-be to have different educational Shabbat experiences. One rabbi last night asked me if fellow students were coming to hear the scholar-in-residence and I told the rabbi that they almost all drive. The rabbi was disappointed and replied that it was important for rabbinical students to drive to hear such an important scholar who had come from Israel to speak.

So, for now, I drive and have a wide variety of Shabbat experiences and am learning a lot as I visit various local congregations on Shabbat. Time will tell how I continue to struggle with my desire to explore Shabbat opportunities versus my discomfort with driving.

1 Comments:

Blogger Avi said...

I suggest you read my article in the Spring 2004 issue of Conservative Judaism and the responses, which is a reflection from what I believe to be the mis-guided heter. It's also worth understanding it in its sociological role of the C movement finding itself and seeing itself as the conserver of "traditional" Judaism in an age of rapid suburbanization.

5:12 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home