Hatikvah - A Blog About Life in Rabbinical School

Matt and Jen's blog about their adventures while Matt is in rabbinical school. Hatikvah, the name of the Israeli national anthem, means "the hope." This blog reflects their many hopes and adventures about their experiences during this process.

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Rumor Has It....

I just realized that everything I know about living in Israel is via a rumor. And I find that very scary! I have read a few books about traveling in Israel or about the experience of someone who has made aliyah, but none of these sources has the gritty details that I so desperately want to know.

I want to know if I will be able to buy English-language books in Israel or do I need to bring/mail all the books I might potentially read for a full year (that would be a lot!)? I want to know how to pay bills for such things as the phone and how to get a cell phone. Does the postman delivers packages to the door or will we have to pick them up at the post office (we plan on sending ourselves several large packages and how can we shlep them to our apartment with no car?). Will I be able to sign up for a library card? I want to know if I will be able to buy ink cartridges for my printer in Israel or do I need to bring a year's worth with me? Are there good places to buy new shoes if mine get worn out from all the walking? What kind of restaurants might I expect? Will I be going a full year without Chinese food (I can do it, I think... gosh that will be tough!)?

That's just a few of my questions. Every day, I discover some new question about life in Israel that I just take for granted in the U.S. So, I have been asking some people who have been to Israel if they know any of these answers. I even talked to a co-judge at History Day who lived in Israel for a year. She had some solid advice on traveling around. I just wish she could remember the name of the restaurant in Jerusalem where she said you could get some fabulous bread with herbs on top - a mix between brushetta and pizza. Sounded yummy! Other friends have told us that it will be easy to rent a car. Another person told us that milk is sold in cans rather than fresh in a carton. And just recently, I heard that there's an IKEA there, for all our miscellaneous household needs :)

It's really going to be amazing to see how different living in Israel will be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home