Hatikvah - A Blog About Life in Rabbinical School

Matt and Jen's blog about their adventures while Matt is in rabbinical school. Hatikvah, the name of the Israeli national anthem, means "the hope." This blog reflects their many hopes and adventures about their experiences during this process.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Mental Packing

Two suitcases just aren't enough. I've pulled the suitcases out from the back room. I haven't actually started packing yet; instead, I am spending time just staring at them from every angle. How many shoes will fit? How many outfits? How many books? What about my pens, scissors, hole punch, stapler, and other office supplies? How much can I really bring?

My mind has subconsciously started dividing everything I own (or might purchase) into whether or not it will fit in the suitcases. This is great when I am home because I can really think about whether or not I'm going to be able to bring my stereo, calculator, crystal Shabbat candlesticks, my big boots, fancy shoes, colored pens, etc. However, at the mall it just gets crazy. I think, "What a cool/cute _____ it totally matches _____ ! Buy it now! It's even on sale!" But then my mind immediately thinks, "You can't take that! It would never fit in the suitcase, you crazy lady!"

Yes, my mind actually says these things to me. Not very kind, eh? However, it has kept me from many a cool/cute purchase.

I suppose it's nearly time to start practice packing. That is, to start actually placing things in the suitcases to see what will fit and how heavy it will be. I wonder how much will fit and what I will have to leave behind?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home