Hatikvah - A Blog About Life in Rabbinical School

Matt and Jen's blog about their adventures while Matt is in rabbinical school. Hatikvah, the name of the Israeli national anthem, means "the hope." This blog reflects their many hopes and adventures about their experiences during this process.

Thursday, November 02, 2006

To The Repair Shop

Every morning from 7:10 to 7:25 I am the lone student of the Rosh Yeshiva (head of the Yeshiva). It's a daily class that's open to anyone and everyone but I'm the only on there every day. Reb Shmuel (Reb=rabbi) said that for the years he's been teaching the class, he's always only had one person take advantage of the incredible opportunity to learn from a true master.

Since I'm the only student, I get to ask whatever stupid questions I want. So, today, I asked Reb Shmuel to help me make sure that I was putting on my tefillin properly. I pulled the arm tefillin out of the bag and he looked at it strangely and said, "You're left-handed, right?" I replied that I am and he told me that the leather strap was not tied properly. Instead of us tying it ourselves (I was the last to tie it), he recommended I read to a magical place where tefillin are repaired.

So, after classes today, I walked north up King George Street to where it ends and turns into Straus. At 10 Straus, there it was, HaSofer (The Scribe). Inside was a wondrous collection of muzzuzot, tzitzit, tallitot, and tefillin. I waited patiently for the customer in front of me to finish. Once I was helped, the rabbi-sofer quickly retied the knot on my tefillin and replaced the outside case (since the new know was on the opposite site of the original knot) and for a small charge, I was done.

I had a great experience at HaSofer and highly recommend it for all your sofer needs!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Matt!

I just wandered into your blog. Very nice!

Anyway, when I was at the CY the first time, R. Goldfarb recommended HaSofer to me. It's a place that treats you nicely. The proprietor also seems to have no problems with selling tefillin to women; this summer, Patty replaced her retzuot there.

Anyway, regards to Jen and to you.

Art Werschulz

7:08 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home