Hatikvah - A Blog About Life in Rabbinical School

Matt and Jen's blog about their adventures while Matt is in rabbinical school. Hatikvah, the name of the Israeli national anthem, means "the hope." This blog reflects their many hopes and adventures about their experiences during this process.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

If I Ran The Yeshiva

If I ran the Yeshiva, this would be the model schedule for folks like me (i.e. no background and here to learn a thing or two)...

Shacharit (Morning Prayers) and Breakfast - 7:30-9 a.m.

Hebrew Ulpan - 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. - (Because learning Hebrew is so incredibly important)

Lunch - 12:30-1:40 p.m. - No Classes Allowed

Mincha (Afternoon Prayers) - 1:40-2 p.m.

Early Afternoon Classes - 2-3:15 p.m.

History of Judaism, History of and Contemporary Issues in Israel, Parshat HaShavua, Conservative Judaism, and, the always popular, Upcoming Holidays and How to Observe Them

Late Afternoon Classes - 3:20-6:15 p.m. - (All clases in English, using English sources)...
  • Overview of Liturgy (an overview of the siddur [prayerbook] and how to daven [pray])
  • Overview of Halakhah (using Isaac Klein's A Guide to Jewish Religious Practice)
  • Introduction to the Mishna and Talmud
  • Overview of the Tanakh (Hebrew Bible)
  • Discussion Group and Lecture for Baalei Teshuva (your stupidest questions answered!)

Maariv (Evening Prayers) - 6:15-6:30 p.m.

Obviously, I'm frustrated with what I thought would be offered here and what is actually offered here. Nonetheless, I'm still happy with the opportunities and courses the Yeshiva provides but I might be making some significant changes to my daily schedule in the near future to obtain from the remainder of this year what I need to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home