Hatikvah - A Blog About Life in Rabbinical School

Matt and Jen's blog about their adventures while Matt is in rabbinical school. Hatikvah, the name of the Israeli national anthem, means "the hope." This blog reflects their many hopes and adventures about their experiences during this process.

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Hot Soldier Chicks

O.K., I admit it. I'm cheating. I'm trying to get my teenage brother-in-law to read our blog. I thought this title might get his attention. :)

In Israel, nearly all young men and women over the age of 18 are required to enter the military (IDF - Israel Defense Forces) and serve for up to three years, depending on their position. Many people have told us that it is very common to see these young men and women (carrying machine guns) just about anywhere you may go - on the street, on buses, even in cafes.

My mom has also heard about the mandatory military service. She keeps worrying that when Matt and I visit Israel, we will be conscripted into the military. I have to repeatedly tell her that since we will be just visitors and not Israeli citizens, Matt and I will not have to serve in the military.

However, while there, Matt and I (and my brother-in-law too when he comes to visit us) will enjoy the security these seemingly omnipresent soldiers afford us. And, if my brother-in-law happens to see a "hot soldier chick," he will hopefully remember the machine gun she's carrying and refrain from hitting on her.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hot Soldier Chicks? Palease! As the president of the I.G.S.U.C.S. (Israeli Gay Soldiers for Unrestricted Cavity Searches) I was appalled! If I want to read smutty headlines like that, I'll go to the Reform blog sites.
Harumf!

8:07 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home