Hatikvah - A Blog About Life in Rabbinical School

Matt and Jen's blog about their adventures while Matt is in rabbinical school. Hatikvah, the name of the Israeli national anthem, means "the hope." This blog reflects their many hopes and adventures about their experiences during this process.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Yahrzeit

Last night began a 24 hour period of yahrzeit, the memorial day for the death of a loved one, for my maternal grandfather - may his memory be for a blessing.

It is traditional for the family members to recite aloud in public the prayer called the Mourner's Kaddish on the yahrzeit. The Mourner's Kaddish is recited at the evening, morning, and afternoon services (i.e. all three). Thus, I began observing my grandfather's yahrzeit last night, by heading back to the Yeshiva at 6:15 for the Maariv service there.

I also recited the Mourner's Kaddish this morning, each of the three times it occurred in the service. Then, this afternoon, I led, for the first time ever, the afternoon service, known as Mincha. It is highly appropriate for a mourner or person observing yahrzeit to lead services and I wanted to observe that tradition in honor of my grandfather. Thus, I've been working hard for the past month and a half, practicing Mincha day and night to get it right.

When 1:40 p.m. rolled around today, I was so incredibly nervous, my knees were actually shaking so badly - I thought I could've fainted. Fortunately, I wasn't facing the students, faculty, and friends who had gathered (thanks Eve!) to pray and to support me. I made it through Mincha and ended with my last Mourner's Kaddish for the 24 hour period. I'm sure my grandfather would be proud.

And now, it's time to head out to the supermarket to do our shopping for our large Shabbat dinner - it's the first time we've hosted since Rosh Hashanah, which means it's almost been two months.

2 Comments:

Blogger Eve said...

I am sure your grandfather would be very, very proud! He's probably smiling! You did an INCREDIBLE JOB!! I was glad to be there to support you!!! YASHER KOACH!!

12:06 PM PST  
Blogger Eve said...

I am sure your grandfather would be very, very proud! He's probably smiling! You did an INCREDIBLE JOB!! I was glad to be there to support you!!! YASHER KOACH!!

12:07 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home